2 Chuhin Larches ( late summer update)

I decided at the start of this year that I would reduce the amount of fertiliser that I would give to these 2 trees in an effort to slow down the rate of growth, shorten the internode length and keep the needle size quite small. They have been given a single monthly doze of an inorganic balanced fertiliser throughout the season. I think I have achieved the result I was looking for.

The first tree was collected in 2012. A good basic branch structure was developed over 2012 – 2013 growing seasons. This is how it looked at the start of 2014.

larch 2 copy

And this is how it is looking today. A reasonable number of new branchlets have developed, particularly in the apex. This new growth will be wired in over the winter.

larch1

The second tree is one of my first bonsai trees. Its been in my possession for about 14 years. It already has a good branch structure and only needs minor development to improve it. The next picture shows how it looked at the start of the season.

larch3

This is how it looks today

 

larch2

An advantage of the reduced feeding regime, is that I have been able to keep the wire that was applied last winter in position for the entire year without cutting into the bark. In previous years I have noted that wire applied in the summer and taken off in the winter is more effective at keeping a branch in position than wire applied in the winter and taken off in the summer. My hope is that I will see a marked improvement in the branch placement, when the wire is removed this winter. We shall see.

Yamadori Scots Pine (First Styling)

This tree has been sitting on the benches at the back of my garden for about 12 years. I have done very little to it in that time because I have always considered it a difficult tree. Its best feature is undoubtedly the old flaky bark but some of its other characteristics are less than desirable. I thought initially that I might attempt to turn it into an informal upright but the lack of movement and taper in the lower trunk meant that I would never be entirely happy with that. Any attempt to bend the lower trunk would be at the expense of the beautiful bark

pine2

Lovely old bark

pine3

In the past few years I have developed an interest and appreciation for the literati style of bonsai and I have been thinking that the tall thin trunk on this specimen might be best suited to training in that style. The next picture shows the tree after an initial pruning and branch selection

pine4

This is how it is looking at the moment after further thinning and wiring. I am very pleased with the result at this stage and I am looking forward to seeing how it will develop in future years. Height 69cm (27 inches).

pine1

This is another pine of a similar height but not nearly as old that I plan to start work on next week

pine5

Larch (update)

You might remember when I first posted this tree back in March of this year. The early development from unpromising material can be found in Larch Progression. This is a reminder of how it looked at the start of the year after its winter wiring.

larch 1

This tree is very close to where I would like it to be, it only really needs denser ramification to complete the image. To maintain a short needle length and promote  a thinner more delicate branch structure, I have cut back on the amount of fertilizer it has had this year. Instead of the weekly dose of high nitrogen that it received last year to thicken the primary branches; this year it has had to make do with a monthly dose of high nitrogen at half strength. As you can see in the next picture, it has put on a lot of new growth and that growth is quite compact.

larch

The wire that was applied last winter was removed in the summer and new wire applied to the primary branches immediately after. It will be interesting to see if these primary branches have set permanently by this winter.

A little more work on my workshop juniper

 

 

This is the tree I took to the Marc Noelanders workshop a couple of months ago. Its doing pretty well since the styling despite the hot dry weather we have experienced in the intervening period. I have lost 2 small branchlets from the front however, probably due to my rough handling when I wired it. Today, I cleaned the bark using a soft brass brush attached to low speed power tool. It does a very good job with very little effort and its not so abrasive that it damages the bark. I also gave the deadwood its first coat of lime sulphur

juni1

Callicarpa Japonica (Update)

The chuhin Callicarpa that I acquired earlier this year has done very well over the summer. This is a reminder of how it looked after an initial cutback at the start of June.

beauty1

The cutback in June has been beneficial in creating a lot of new shoots and increasing the ramification. This is how its looking at the moment (Mid September)

cal1

The berries which give this tree its common name of Japanese Beautyberry are starting to form, although most seem to be at the top of the tree at the moment. I will put it into the greenhouse now to extend the growing season as long as possible in the hope that it will continue to flower and produce lots more before the end of the year.

cal2

Blauws Juniper Rewired

I have just finished rewiring my Blauws Juniper for the second time in its new style. This is a reminder of how it looked before wiring.

b1

And this is how its looking at the moment

b2

It has filled out well in the year that has passed since its first styling under the guidance of Marc Noelanders. For comparison, this is a reminder of how it looked at this time last year

B12

I acquired a nice Japanese oval pot for it, last weekend at the club, from my good friend Robert Porch Roll on next year, so I can get it re-potted