I did a little seasonal pruning and weeding on my homemade cotoneaster landscape yesterday. Its been a year since I completed the planting and Its beginning to fill out nicely. It will probably take another 2 seasons growth to get the ramification where I would like it to be.
This is how it looked before todays work
And this is how it looks at the moment
It’s the middle of Summer and the trees are growing vigorously so I thought I would take a break from the endless routine of pruning to review the progress of a piece of raw material that was removed from my garden 3 years ago. It’s a Lonicera Nitida, a shrub that is used extensively in the UK as a hedging plant and more commonly in recent years, as a substitute for box hedging, which has fallen victim to the dreaded box blight.
This is how it looks at the moment It was re-potted into the pot you can see in the following photographs in the Spring with a change in the planting angle. This will facilitate its’ continued development as a semi cascade bonsai. The ramification has a considerable way to go but already after only 3 years you can now see the future potential in this little tree.
Here are some earlier images which show its progress over the last 3 years.
The beginning back in May 2014
My satsuki azalea, which I plan to train in the exposed root style has come into flower and is looking great at the moment. I put it into this deep blue pot just over a year ago to allow the roots to develop downward. When the pot has filled with roots (hopefully next year) I will take it out of the pot and begin the process of exposing the roots.
This is how it looked in 2015