The mature leaves on my 2 zelkova shohin are a little bigger and more numerous than last year and are preventing light from reaching the interior of the branches, they are also inhibiting the production of new buds. Time for some defoliation. I have never done this to a zelkova before, so I will be erring on the safe side, although I have heard that they can be fully defoliated without any problem.
Zelkova#1 before and after
Zelkova#2 before and after
My shohin gardenia, which was re-potted earlier this year is now firing on all cylinders again. No flowers yet though.
Some of the older leaves are getting quite big with all the fertilizer its had. It will be due for a trim shortly
Here is a recent picture of my shohin deshojo maple. As I am a newcomer when it comes to developing maple bonsai, I took advice earlier this year from experienced club members on the techniques to be applied to increase ramification and reduce the internode length between buds. I have been pinching the extension growth and partially defoliating the tree at regular intervals. It seems to be working. Still a long way to go though.
Have I mentioned that I love Tosui pots? Here is another recent acquisition. A small unglazed rectangle, with what I think is a slip decoration on all four sides
Here is a summer record shot of my shohin cork barked elm. It has suffered a slight infestation from red spider mites this year but it is under control now.
Here it is with its little brother. The tree on the right was taken as a cutting from the lower right branch of the tree on the left in the spring of 2012. Most of the growth on the cutting that you see in this pictures has occurred in the last 12 months
Close up of the branch structure, not bad for 2 years 3 months.
This is the same tree last spring in a 3 inch pot
Here are some branches, pruned from my bonsai in 2012, which have rooted well and are beginning to look quite good. When I am trying to strike cuttings from thicker branches, I wrap the cut end with sphagnum moss and secure it tightly in a pot with coarse akadama. I find that this improves my success rate
The first one was pruned from my procumbent juniper and has just been re-potted this week
Nice pot by Peter Krebs. Next job will be to wire the trunk and thin out the foliage. I am thinking about a literati style for this one
This is the parent tree
This is a little thuga occidentalis
This is the parent tree
My root over rock shohin juniper, Which at the start of the year had no apex is filling out nicely with the fine weather we have had this year. This is a reminder of how it looked in March of this year.
And This is how it is looking today 21/07/2014
I will do some refinement on the foliage, later in the year