Thinning and Wiring Pines

Gerry and I have started the end of year maintenance on our pines. This normally involves the thinning of the old needles and some of this seasons too, in areas of strong growth. When the thinning is complete, the trees have to be partially or totally re-wired to accommodate the new growth.

145

The first one I tackled was a Scots Pine, which had its first wiring in the literati style 3 years ago. This is how it looks at the moment after a second wiring. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a picture before todays work as its absolutely freezing in the garden and time outside was kept to a minimum.

15

The next picture shows how it looked some time after the first wiring in 2014. You can see that its filled out well in the intervening years

15a

This is a reminder of how the original tree looked at the start of 2014

15b

Gerry’s large Scots Pine also required some work. This is how it looks at the moment after thinning and wiring.

16.jpg

Original tree in 2014

16a

We finished off the session by restyling a small shohin white pine. this is how it looked before.

33

and this is how it looks at the moment

4

We still have plenty more to complete in the next few weeks.

 

 

Advertisements

Pinus Sylvestris First Styling

I acquired this thin trunk Scots Pine a little over a year ago from a friend. Some long thin branches at the base of the trunk were removed and the tree was re-potted into a clay pot with a good free draining soil mix. This is how it looked after the initial work.

13b

and this is how it looked at the beginning of this week, 16 months after the previous picture was taken.

13a

The needles were thinned ready for wiring and I jinned the stubs at the base of the trunk.

1514

After thining out the foliage

16

This is how it looks at the moment, not bad for a £30.00 purchase.

13

Shohin Juniper Rigida; 3 Years Development

This shohin Juniper Rigida belongs to my friend Gerry but I have been closely involved with its development over the past 3 years. I have had difficulty maintaining the health and vigour of this species in the past but this one is quite different. It has grown with strength  right from the start and it responds well to interventions like re-potting and wiring. This is how it looked in 2014 when he acquired it.

2a

I gave it an initial styling in 2015 and it was potted on into the larger pot you can see in the next picture to build up some energy in the roots.

2b

As we looked at this tree we were happy with the styling but the planting angle wasn’t quite correct; it needed more of a tilt to the right. Early in 2017, the roots were trimmed and the tree was re-potted at the correct angle. This is how it looked at that time.

2

Today, I trimmed back the foliage and wired the tree for a second time. I also transferred it to a nice pot by Peter Krebs. This wasn’t strictly a re-pot as there was virtually no root disturbance. This is how it looks at the moment.

2c

 

Work on the Deadwood of My Shohin Yew

I took the opportunity today to do a little more refining on the jin and shari of a shohin yew that had its first styling one year ago.

11d

This is how it looked before todays work.

11

and this is how it looks at the moment.

11h

11c

I think I will change the viewing angle slightly at the next re-pot to give the jin more prominence.

11i

This is a reminder of how it looked before the first styling last year.

11e

Thuja Occidentalis Summer Maintenance

I spent part of today thining and cleaning My Thuja Occidentalis bonsai.

12c

It grows very quickly during the summer months and soon becomes untidy. This is how it looked before I started this morning.

12

and this is how it looks at the moment

12a

This is how it looked in 2004 when it was lifted from my garden. It originally had three trunks but I removed the 2 on the left and decided to work with the one on the right.

12b

Kaho Azalea

During my regular get together with Gerry we carried out some seasonal pruning on his large azalea bonsai. This is how it looks at the moment.

9

The ramification has developed well in just 3 years. Here are some photographs which illustrate that. The next one was taken in 2015, when we decided to air layer the top to bring the apex in line with the trunk base.

9b

The next one shows how it looked in 2014, when Gerry acquired it.

9c