Buxus Sempervirens

This is a species I have always found difficulty with. Until recently, I had nowhere in my garden that provided shade for the whole day and buxus sempervirens has a tendency to scorch in strong sunlight when grown in a pot. While I was occupied with the day job, this was a recurring problem. The result being that although I have had this tree for 9 years. It hasn’t really shown much progress in that time.

In the past few years I have had a slightly more successful experience with a shohin buxus  sempervirens grown entirely in the shade. Charged by this success, I have decided to have another go with this kifu sized tree

The first picture shows the tree as it was in 2005, shortly after it was collected from my garden

buxus5

The next picture shows the poor state of development by 2011. I was never able to get the apical branch to fill out.

buxus4

This year I decided to remove the old apex altogether, thin the remaining branches including some very thick ones at the back and start again. This is the tree after initial pruning.

buxus2

Rewired and removed from the old training pot

buxus1

A new look and a new pot for the future (June 2014)

buxus3

Advertisements

New Pot for my Collection

This is a new shohin pot that I acquired recently, by Scottish potter Ian Baillie. I love the green glaze on this one. I just have to find a tree to fit it, now.
b1

As well as applying his IB stamp, Ian also inscribes his signature into the base of his pots, which I think is a nice feature.

b2

Shohin White Pine #2

This is a little white pine grafted onto black pine rootstock that I acquired at a show in 2011 for the princely sum of £12.00. I wish I could get more at that price now.

wp2

In 2012, I removed a branch that was growing from the inside of a curve, applied some wire  and planted it in this little Chinese pot

wp4

In 2014, the first left branch has extended quite a bit and is beginning to provide a counterbalance at the left hand side of the image. It is very much a work in progress but that work is already rewarding me with much pleasure and satisfaction

wp1

Pyracantha Stump Project

This Pyracantha was dug from a hedge in my front garden about five years ago and roughly planted in the borders of my back garden, where it was left to its own devices for another 2 years. In 2011, I cut it back and removed it from the border into the plastic pot you can see in picture 1. It is my intention to use this tree for the development of my own skills. In its present form it doesn’t have much merit as a bonsai tree so I can afford to be a little more bold and experimental than I might be with a more expensive piece of raw material.
p1

In the summer of 2012, it was chopped back again (see picture 2)  and left to grow until the spring of this year.

p3

This is how it looked in April 2014

p8

In the next picture it is obvious that the big chop of 2012 was done in 2 stages as the stump looks a little shorter that it does in picture 2

p4

With the stump removed from the pot you can see that there is  a significant part of the trunk which was covered by the soil. I am not sure at the moment whether I will use this additional trunk length in the future or attempt to cut it back from the bottom

p5

The tree was replanted into a deep bonsai pot with a good free draining soil mix of coarse akadama and kiryu (April 2014).

p6

Buy June of 2014, there are signs of new strong growth so I decided to carry out some initial carving with the Makita and Dremmel.  It might seem a little soon after the re-pot to be attempting this, but this tree, which has been roughly ripped from the ground twice in the recent past has proved to a very tough survivor and I am reasonably confident that this can be done now, without any major detrimental effect on the vigour of the tree.

p7

When the sapwood had dried sufficiently, I gave it a few coats of a wood preserver with an added pigment. It will be kept in full shade for the next month or so during this current spell of hot weather, and fertilizer will be introduced slowly as new growth develops. I am quite pleased with the result so far and I look forward to working on this stump in the future with renewed interest. I will report back on the progress of this stump later in the year.

Clutched from the Edge of the Abyss

The recent history of this shohin white pine includes a remarkable survival story. Acquired in the spring of 2012 it was planted into the pot you see in the first picture in May of the same year. The weather in 2012 was unseasonally cold until the end of May.
wp3

On the 31st of May my wife and I decided to take a short 4 day break in London. At precisely this moment, the weather changed for the better, in fact the temperatures over the next four days were record breaking throughout the UK. My son was in charge of the watering over this period and while he did a reasonable job in the circumstances, this tree was missed.

This is how it looked on our return. ( This picture was taken a few weeks after the event)

wp4

All the needles had dried up and fell off and the new candles were a very sickly brown colour. I was gutted. In what seemed like a futile attempt to revive it, I wrapped the rootball in sphagnum moss and replanted it in this larger pot. I kept it in the shade and misted regularly and remarkably it began to respond

wp5

The recovery process took the best part of 18 months to take effect. By the spring of 2014 (picture 4)the tree was again looking healthy and I decided it was time to take it out of the larger pot

white pine1

The final picture was taken today (June 2014) and shows the tree in its new pot with all the new needles about to open.

wp7