This post shows the progression of a taxus that was purchased as raw material in the autumn of 2016 by my friend Gerry. The first picture was taken round about the time he acquired it. The most interesting part of this tree was in the lower trunk and the low hanging first branch with movement to the right. The upper trunk was quite thick and had no taper, so I suggested that we cut it back to a lower branch and thin out the foliage so that we could see what we were working with.
This is how it looked at the start of 2017. We decided to leave it like that for the time being and began to feed the tree regularly to encourage back budding.
The next picture shows how it looked earlier this week, 14 months after the previous picture was taken. As you can see, it has filled out well and is now ready for branch selection and the first full wiring.
The first task to be tackled was the carving of the stump left after last years’ trunk chop.
Gerry, getting on with wiring the lower branches
I finished off the top of the tree and placed the wired branches
This is how it looks at the moment. Next year we will work on the jins and shari and maybe plant the tree into a smaller pot
Reblogged this on Wolf's Birding and Bonsai Blog.